Due to construction activity at Stratford High School, there will be a closure of a portion of King Street on Tuesday July 25, 2017. This work is scheduled to be completed in one day. The road will be closed to ALL traffic at Barnum Ave. & King Street. There will be a road closed to Thru traffic at Broadbridge Ave. & King Street with detour signs, this will allow only residents of King Street to get home (a police officer will be posted at that location). At the first driveway of the high school on King Street the road will be completely closed from sidewalk to sidewalk.
Work is underway to make the new state of the art Stratford High School a reality. See below for a summary of the activities that will be happening on the site over the next month. All activities are subject to change due to weather conditions, etc. Regular updates will be posted here so check back frequently!
Week of July 17:
- Remove topsoil and install Turner Construction field office on the West Parcel
- Begin demolition of the Field House
- Install the Turner Construction field office at 25 North Parade
- Fill in excavation from oil tank removal at the East Parcel
- Demo sidewalks and stairs next to Building C
Week of July 24:
- Continue demolition of the Field House
- Remove topsoil and environmentally impacted soil (as required) from the West Parcel
- Start utility work outside of Building C
- Excavate footings for the King Street Bridge at Building C
Week of July 31:
- Continue removing soil from the West Parcel
- Continue utility work outside of Building C
- Begin earthwork at future Building A location for aggregate piers, and start installing piers
- Begin earthwork at future West Parcel Parking Lot
- Prep and pour footings for the King Street Bridge at Building C
- Prep and pour stairs to the basement north of Building C
Week of August 7:
- Continue utility work outside of Building C
- Continue installing aggregate piers at future Building A location
- Prep and pour stairs for the King Street Bridge at Building C
- Prep sub-base for future West Parcel Parking Lot
- Install new storm water utilities at West Parcel
With the governor signing SB503 on June 3rd, the Town of Stratford received the nod to continue moving forward with the Stratford High School project. It is anticipated, that once the public act (May Special Session PA 16-4) is finalized, that the Office of School Construction Grants will formally submit a letter of grant commitment for roughly $76 million to Dr. Robinson. With the commitment in hand, Stratford will begin the process of requesting reimbursement on costs already incurred.
The Stratford Building Needs Committee and the Stratford High School Renovations Subcommittee will be holding a public presentation of the schematic design for the Stratford High School project (www.stratfordhighproject.com). The presentation will occur October 19, 2015 at 7:00 pm in the Stratford High School auditorium (45 North Parade Street, Stratford). Please join us for an informative evening on this exciting project that will become a treasured educational asset and focal point for the community. All are welcome, no reservations required. For more information, call 203-385-4205.
On Monday, August 10, 2015, the Town Council voted to approve the resolution to move forward with "Option 17", the termed name for the conceptual design of the new Stratford High School. The concept will provide a new academic building on the east side of King Street and a renovated and expanded civic building on the west side, where the current school sits. The approved concept brings along several advantages and will result in a new gymnasium, new auditorium, and maximized outdoor athletic field.
During the Special Session held on June 29, 2015, the Legislature passed House Bill 7102, which included two provisions for the Stratford High School. The effect of the legislation significantly reduces the Town's expected share of the project costs. The passage of the bill is the culmination of months of behind the scenes work by the Renovations Subcommittee, Building Needs Committee, Town Council, Stratford's Legislative Delegation, Owner's Project Manager, Architect, and Construction Manager.
In its meeting on April 27, 2015, the Stratford Board of Education approved new Educational Specifications (Ed Specs) for the Stratford High School renovations project. Ed Specs are required as a part of the State of CT grant process.
A link to the agenda, including the full Ed Specs can be found by clicking here.
On May 11, 2015, the Town Council authorized, through two ordinances, the funding for the SHS Renovations project.
You can find the agenda with the full text of these ordinances by clicking here.